Well...I was in the 80%....

August 11, 2008

...and was not announced as SOY 2008. Congrats to Mandy Douglass, who was named the winner. Now it is time to get up, dust myself off...and move on! I do want to share my time in photos with you though...so here we go.

It all started on Tuesday when this arrived at my workplace:
My wonderful inlaws sent this basket of goodies to me as a "we are proud of you" gift! Such a sweet gesture...and we are still snacking on all the fruits and CHOCOLATE! Yum!

I left Missoula EARLY on Wednesday morning, and arrived at 9am. Josh picked me up at the airport and we headed straight to the CK offices. They gave me a tour of the building, and then let me set up for my video segments. That was the project this year. We had to plan out two 2-3 minute video segments (projects, etc...) based on 3 subjects they gave us. I did my video segments (kind-of scary) and then they revealed I had one more segment to do with Lori Fairbanks. That one was a piece of cake, because by then I was a pro. ;)

After that I called Josh, and he came and picked me up. We drove down to Provo, got checked in, and just relaxed for a bit. One of the finalists, Shelly, had some major flight delays. So, the 4 of us met with each other for a bit, and then met with some editorial staff as well.

Then it was time to go get ready for the banquet. Josh came down early with me, and took this really great photo for me.
I have to say...Josh was my saving grace all this week. He was so supportive of everything. Dealt with not seeing me much, but whisked me away from it all when I needed it. I don't think I could have gotten through it without him.

Here I am getting some goodies from two of the major sponsors, Wausau Paper and Sizzix. I have so much cardstock now it is crazy, and a Sizzix Big Shot. Do you think I am set on die cut machines yet? Tee hee...I am very grateful for it all, and will definitely be using them! So, thank you to the sponsors for all the great goodies!
After this they announced the winner, which wasn't me. Then came the obligatory photos and everything...and my husband, and our friends that came down from Salt Lake (Dave, Stephanie & Timothy) waited for me. Once that was finished...we went on to dinner at the hotel's restaurant. Not the greatest service...but it was food. And food was needed...we were all starving.

The next day started our time at CKU- Provo. These ladies sought me out right off the bat, as they were from Montana too!! Gotta love meeting fellow Montana scrappers! They were super sweet...I am so glad I met them.
This is Brittany Beattie, who is an editor for CK. She is really, really sweet...I am so glad I finally got to meet her face to face.
This is Leisl Russell, who also works for CK. I just adore this girl...her and Joannie McBride (also from CK, but not pictured) just made my trip for me. Thank you girls!
Here are all of the five finalists with the obligatory photo with Tim Holtz. Seriously...you can't take a class with him without a photo, can you?
This is Deena Wuest, one of the finalists, and her sweet little girl! Isn't she just precious! I just kept taking photographs of her...she was so darling!
This is Sue, my DT coordinator for Provo Craft...and this is her office!!!! I can officially say that I am jealous of her job!! This is just one small part of her area...she has an entire section of a warehouse devoted to her project area. Seriously...I am totally jealous now that I have seen it. She gave me a tour of Provo Craft, and then took me to dinner on Thursday night. That was very sweet, and I really enjoyed meeting her. Thanks so much Sue!
This is another Montana girl, right from my area named Carrie! I knew her before coming to CKU, but it was fun to meet up!! Isn't she adorable! We need to get together soon Carrie...email me!!
And to the CKU kick-off bash on Thursday night. Pure craziness. People dressed up, crazy table centerpeices, screaming, dancing, singing...performances all about scrapbooking. It was a tad overwhelming, but fun to watch!
Everything done for the bee theme was completely hand-made. They really went all out!!

And this little song was really cute...they incorporated all of the teachers, etc...into it, all to the Grinch song. Very sweet!

And then here are Shelly and I with our finished creations from Tim's class on Friday. Notice we are showing off our inked up fingers...that is probably the only time you will see that on me! I really enjoyed his class though...and learning how to use his product. I am not much of a technique-y girl, unless it is clean and graphic looking...but I do love the project that I finished in class. I am going to add some of my own touches to it, and hang it in my scrap room.
I will be honest and say I was photo'd out on Saturday, and didn't take out my camera much. I was in Ali's album track all day that day, so I will photograph that project once it is finished. I REALLY enjoyed her class, and I am using it for my cheerleading album. ALL of my years of cheerleading...and I like how it has come together so far. I have the first section done, which is of my time cheering for Pop Warner Football/Cheer. I still need to finish the high school section, and the college section..and it will be finished! I hope to get that done in the next few weeks.

All in all...I had a great time. Do I wish I had won...of course. I had some great uses for that $10,000! But, life went on right after the announcement was made, and so did I. I am proud of how far I did make it in the contest, and the most important part...I LOVE each and every layout that I completed for my SOY portfolio. They are treasures in my scrapbook albums, and that is what it is all about.

Well, that is all from me for now! I hope you enjoyed my little trip through photos...thanks for all the sweet comments and emails over this past week, it really brightened my days!

HUGS,
~Lea

28 comments

  1. Wow! That looks like an awesome time! Congratulations to you on your marvelous achievement, you went a long way, baby! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be very, very proud of being a finalist in the SOY contest. Yes, $10,000 would be nice but like you said, life goes on. I love your work and I know that this will not be the last contest that you do well in.
    Keep you your spirt and your love of scrapbooking.
    I used to call on Missoula way back when. It is such a beautiful area. My niece and her husband are trying to buy some Mill in Missoula and will be moving their as soon as they sell their house in Utah. I will keep you posted.
    Have a groovy week and again, Congratulations!
    Love and God bless,
    Shaun
    www.roomswithaview.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lea, HUGE congrats to you! What an amazing gift you have...so glad that you have been recognized in this way!

    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lea, What an amazing trip! Like I said before, you really are a winner. (though the $$$ would have been nice!) Love the pics. (BTW, you've been tagged. See my blog for details)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how fun CKU was this time around for me, so I can only imagine it was 10 times better for you!

    Don't think of it as being in the 80% who didn't win...you were in the 0.0125% who made the finals! That's a huge accomplishment and I know you're really proud of that....and you should be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lea, you are such a inspiring scrapper to me, keep on creating that eye candy!! Love the photos, looks like you had a fun time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lea I was soooooooo exited for you when I found out you were a finalist. How exciting. I'm sure you were in great company. You have always been an inspiration to me. You have accomplished so much in the few years I have known you and it's amazing to see. Many hugs and I'm sure there will be more big news coming from you again.

    Hugs
    Elisa K

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOW COOL!! Congrats Lea! you are so talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow girl! how fun! you rock and should be really proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing time you must have had at Provo, Lea! So proud of you for having been one of the finalists...that's an accomplishment in itself! You have been blessed with so much talent, and although you may not have been chosen as the SOY this time, you're at the top in my book, girlfriend! ;-D

    Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Lea, on your amazing accomplishments! You should be very proud and obviously know what the important parts of scrapbooking are all about! I loved reading about your experiences, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huge congrats on being a SOY finalist, Lea! Sorry you didn't win (I was rooting for you ;) ), but it looks like you had a great time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the $$$ would have been such an added blessing but so happy your amazing talent was recognized this year. you truly are amazing Lea!

    (btw, you look so much like my childhood best friend it floors me sometimes.)

    (((hugs)))
    danni

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW Lea, first of all you look so cute & happy in all of your pics! I'm so jealous I wish I was there:)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lea!! BIG huge congrats girl on being a finalist!! WOW!!!! Looks like a fabulous time!! I LOVE your pictures. I'm so excited for you!

    Hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Lea Congrats to you! I was rooting for you!! You have such a talent - thank you for sharing it with all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so extremely talented Lea! You should be very proud of yourself. What accomplishments you have made! Hugs and glad you are back!!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kisses from the Corporate Office. I love you, doll. You were the best scrapper there. imho btw

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kid you are still SOY To me!!!! And all those photos are great...I feel like I was there...I am so SUPER PROUD OF YOU!!!! CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lea - loved reading your SOY post! I almost copied that inky picture of us...Had a great time hanging out with you for those four days...we'll definitely have to all keep in touch. xox Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for taking us along on this amazing journey with you. I am so happy that you made it as far as you did...you are an inspiration to us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow girl! You should be SO proud of yourself! You are super talented and I pretty much love everything I have ever seen you make. Congrats!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can only echo what everyone else says here Lea...Massive `Congrats` to you you must be sooo proud:)
    TFI...
    Your photo`s are fabulous:)x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did an amazing job!!!! I'm sure you're very proud for making the top finalists, and I know we are all SO proud and excited for you, Lea!!! :) I loved all the pics you shared with us! Thanks for 'letting us in'!! SO cool!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. CONGRATS to you!!! Just being a finalist is a MAJOR accomplishment!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats again! You are awesome and you deserve it all. I love seeing all the photos, looks like a ton of fun! Big Shot sounds awesome, I was shopping for one, but decided against it (not because I didn't want one, I was just going to use what I have). Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lea, what an exciting ride you've had this year. Your work is beautiful, and we at Dixie Pieces were honored to have you design with our kit. Please come and join us anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  28. sorry to hear that you didn't win. (I followed you from Dixie Pieces and 2 sketches 4 you--loved your card!) Your work is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥