My World is Brighter Because of You

January 25, 2016

I tried to start up cardmaking again in December, and it just wasn't the right time.  The holidays weren't easy for me, and I was going through too many firsts without Ellie.  It was overwhelming & I just didn't want to sit at my crafting area.  So I did the right thing, and closed it up again.  I chose to just focus on surviving the holidays without any additional stress.  January has also had some firsts that I needed to deal with....moving into a new year without her & turning 36.  I was supposed to have an almost 4 month old when my birthday came around this year.  In some really illogical ways, I just felt like a failure.  We did some small things to celebrate my birthday, but for the most part...I just needed to let it pass by.  The good news is I've come out on the other side mostly unscathed, and feeling a bit more inspired to pick up my crafting supplies again.

I've actually got a card to share with you today...and I actually like how it turned out.  (Falling on the floor fainting over here.)  It's pretty simple in design, but uses one of my favorite things....rainbow colored watercolor.
How to create:
**Supplies will be linked below for your shopping convenience.**
  1. Trim & fold an A2 card from Cupid's Bow cardstock, set aside.
  2. Stamp & heat emboss the Origami Map to a piece of watercolor paper.
  3. Tape the paper block to a hard surface, then wet down the inside of the embossed map.
  4. Paint the inside of the map in a gradient rainbow using distress inks.
  5. Dry completely with a heat tool, then sprinkle some water droplets to the front.
  6. Let the droplets sit for a moment, then pick them up using a paper towel.
  7. Adhere the watercolor block to the Cupid's Bow card front.
  8. Diecut the word 'hello' from aqua glitter paper & adhere to the front with foam dots.
  9. Stamp & heat emboss the rest of the sentiment to black cardstock, and cut into a thin strip.
  10. Adhere the strip to the top of the 'hello' diecut word with foam dots.
  11. Accent with colored jewels to finish.

Here are a few more detail shots of the card:

Well, that is my first card of 2016.  It took 25 days to get it done, but it is coming a bit easier to me now.  And that is a good thing!  I am sure my creativity will ebb & flow as I continue down this road of firsts, and learning how to live and grieve my daughter.  As I was making this card, I kept thinking about how true the sentiment is in regards to Ellie.  Though her death & absence has left me heartbroken, my world truly is better because of her existence.

Supplies:


Until later,
~L.


Challenges:
 
“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). When we think of this verse, we usually think about “good works” as ways we can help others, and that’s true. Remember though: In the beginning when God was getting creative and bringing everything into existence, He evaluated His creation and decided it was “good.” Creativity can minister to a person’s heart the same way a meal or a hug might.
SOURCE

25 comments

  1. Lea! This is absolutely stunning! And I'm so happy you felt like creating! Much love, sweet girl. Praying so much beauty in 2016 for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cool! I LOVE the rainbow of colors, the fabulous embossing, and those large rhinestones! Thank you for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    PS: I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost children and had multiple miscarriages, and there is not a "good" way to survive them. I am so glad that you chose to do what's best for YOU. Sending HUGS and prayers your way. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is beautiful and a lovely card celebrating your daughter. Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this card is so, so lovely. I hope that being back to creating again brings you some joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing card! Love the watercoloring and bold sentiment. I'm glad that you are trying to get back to something that brings you joy after such a tragic time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea, your work is always SO beautiful and this card is just gorgeous! I'm so sorry to find out about everything you had to go through, but my heart fills with joy finding out that they trust Lord! I lost my mother five days before you lost your daughter. I thought I was hurting so bad, but after reading your posts, I can only imagine the pain you were feeling... Life is hard.
      God bless you and your family!

      Delete
  6. Your card is lovely and so bright! You have been in my thoughts. I've missed your beautiful creations and you.
    Lesley xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful work of art, Lea. Here's wishing you lots of love in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stunning. Way to come back to paper crafting. I feel your loss in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful, Lea! Love the rainbow design... It oozes happiness! And the gemstones are the perfect touch of glam! Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card!So glad you are creating again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning card! So beautiful. Thanks for playing along with House of Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is simply glorious, Lea! I love how you coloured your embossed world! A joyous card, Jo x HOC/DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is awesome!! Thanks for joining us at Little Tangles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous design. Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a wow card! thanks for continuing to share your struggles and heartache with us all. More hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The card is just beautiful... I've admired your work for a looooong time (lurking in silent adoration of your creations)... You have been in my thoughts... Even tho we've never met, I wish you more moments and days of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lea, this is wonderful! I continue to admire how very in tune you are to your feelings and needs. Hoping this year brings continued healing and much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so glad you are back! Hopefully this will be very therapeutic for you. My husband passed away unexpectedly 4 years ago (tomorrow) and I am just beginning to be able to scrapbook again. I could make Christmas cards and that was about it. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. THUD! That's my jaw hitting the floor! This is just stunning! I love the background stamp and all the colors! I just might have to add this stamp to my list of Must-Haves! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us in the House of Cards "Use Embossing and/or Colors" challenge this month!
    Hugs,
    Leslie, HOC DT
    Love To Scrap!
    Love To Scrap! Challenge Blog DT
    Really Reasonable Ribbon DT
    House of Cards DT
    Crafty Friends DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! I just watching and watching and ... still watching. This is stunning!
    Thank you for sharing your project with all of us at House of Cards January Challenge: Color or Embossing

    Katarzyna Ewa

    my blog
    DT craftyenjoyments.co.uk
    DT House of Cards

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, these colors! Awesome! Thanks for joining us at Little Tangles!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know why I haven't run across your blog before, well actually maybe its because I myself have been off the blogingsphere due to ill health and Im so pleased I have found you. Your work and words are truly inspirational. I wish I had a blog when I went through some thing similar it would have helped heal and lessen the pain I'm sure.
    Sending positive thoughts your way and a big thank you for sharing.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a fantastic card! Congrats on your Little Tangles win - well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous card! Love the water color background you created for the sentiment! I really draws the eye! Thank you for joining our January Challenge at the House of Cards. Ruza, HOC-Designer
    Ruza's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥