Lemons & limes...

June 15, 2010

Hey everyone!  I hope this Tuesday morning is a good one for you so far!  I am preparing for a wedding that I am photographing on Saturday.  Making sure my equipment is all ready to go....getting some inspiration from my favorite wedding photographers across the country...planning out what I am going to wear....all that fun stuff.  I am so excited to photograph this wedding!  The couple has put so many wonderful details into the day, and the main area we will be doing their formal portraits in has kind-of a Secret Gardenish feel to it....it is going to be fabulous!  Everything is going to be outdoors, and we are slated for a 30% chance of thunderstorms...so I am just praying that no matter the weather, this wonderful couple gets their perfect day. 

I have a couple of cards to share with you today!  First up is my card for CPS Sketch 171.  How CA-UTE are those glittered lemon and lime slices?!!  I just adore them!  This is a newer Renaissance by Design stamp set...and I just love it!  The sentiment is just something that I randomly typed up.  I don't think I have ever heard it anywhere before....but I'm not totally sure.  So- I am not going to completely take credit for it, but it sure is a cutie of a sentiment.  I kind-of like it! ♥
"Lemons & Limes" supplies: 
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Paper: Sassafras
Stamps/Ribbon: Renaissance by Design (Summer Fruits set)
Ink: Clearsnap (Pigment: canary, lime)
Glitter: DecoArt
Jewels: Doodlebug Designs (green) & Westrim Crafts (yellow)
Button: Doodlebug Designs
Font: Century Gothic (MS Word)
Corner Rounder: EK Success
Embossing Machine: Cuttlebug by Provo Craft
Embossing Folder: Pop Culture border by Provo Craft

Instructions:  Cover the front of a white card with yellow polka dot paper, and round the bottom corners.  Stamp the lemon & lime slices on white cardstock, and cut out.  Cover them with glitter, and set aside to dry.  Round the bottom corners of a white cardstock block, and print the computer generated sentiment in the lower right corner.  Dry emboss a border towards the top of the block using the Cuttlebug & a Pop Culture border folder.  Tie ribbon around the top, and add a button to the middle of the bow.  Adhere the lemon & lime slices right above the sentiment, popping the lime slice with dimensional adhesive.  Accent below the sentiment with three jewels.  Adhere the entire block to the front of the card using dimensional adhesive. 

This next card uses Card Patterns Sketch 68, which is really great this week!  It is also for the latest Embellish Magazine.com challenge (yellow, brown, coral with labels).  Here is what I came up with! 
"Friendship Grows Here" supplies: 
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Paper: October Afternoon & Scenic Route
Stamps: Gina K Designs (Lovely Labels set) & Renaissance by Design (Curly Tree set)
Ink: Clearsnap (Pigment: chestnut, & Chalk: yellow cadmium, rose coral, dark brown)
Ribbon: Renaissance by Design
Flowers: Prima 
Jewels: Westrim Crafts
Corner Rounder: EK Success
Diecut Machine: Cuttlebug by Provo Craft
Steel Die (large scallop): Papertrey Ink

Instructions:  Fold yellow script paper in half to make card base, and ink the edges.  Cut a scalloped edge to a brown polka dot paper block, and ink the edges.  Adhere the block to the front of the card.  Round the corners of two pink paper blocks, and ink the edges.  Adhere side by side to the middle of the brown polka dot block.  Stamp the label to white cardstock, and cut out.  Stamp the sentiment to the middle, and accent with jewels.  Tie ribbon around the lower part of the card, and accent the bow with paper flowers.  Adhere the label to the front, tucking the lower left corner under the bow. 

Josh and I watched these movies in the past week: 
I was surprised that I actually liked Alice in Wonderland....but I actually really did!  I think they did a great job with it....and Johnny Depp played a great Mad Hatter.  Josh was a trooper watching Leap Year with me, because it is more of a chick flick....but I think he liked it as much as he could.  I really liked it....and I REALLY want to go to Ireland.  :) 

Speaking of going places....I made a decision last week that has been about 3 weeks in the making.  I am going on a missions trip to Kenya, Africa with a group from my church this coming December for 14 days.  
 It is a really big decision for me, and one I didn't and don't take lightly.  I have never traveled internationally, and it is a pretty large financial commitment....but I really had a strong feeling about going when the church started talking about it.  It is a smaller group of people going, which I think will actually be nice.  We plan on working in a school for the first few days, and then we head on to an orphanage.  One of our pastors and his wife have adopted three sons, and the youngest is from Kenya.  The location of his native tribe was recently found, and it has always been in their plan to take him to Kenya to meet his native tribe at some point.  So, we will also be traveling to their location and helping with whatever they might need.  I am so excited to see what God has planned for us to do on this trip, and selfishly....what He has planned for me to do, and what an amazing impact this will have.  I thought I would be terrified at this point....but I have so much peace about going.  Now it is time to start raising money, and we will be fundraising all summer long together! I think it is going to be great.  I have thought that I might start an Etsy shop and sell my cards to put towards my trip.  I already sell cards at my mom's boutique, and Josh's parents are looking for some places to sell them in Texas as well.  So- let me know if you think that would be another good way to raise some money.  I haven't ever sold anything via the web...so I am just unsure of the whole thing.  So- if you could, keep us in your prayers as this trip unfolds over the summer.  I am really very excited about it! 

Here are a couple of albums that I have been listening to lately: 
Loving this new Band of Horses album, even though there has been grumbling that it sounds different from their previous albums.  I don't think it sounds that different.  Plus- change is inevitable as a band gets more popular and adds more people into the mix.  I think it is a great album!  The Eclipse soundtrack is still growing on me...I don't think it is as good as the other two.  It is still a good album...don't get me wrong, and I will probably like it more once I see where the songs are in the movie.  And Band of Horses is on it, which is always a plus in my book!  Yay! :)

Well, I think that is everything I have to share with you today!!  Thanks for reading all my rambling and randomness....you are wonderful! 

Until later,
~Lea

26 comments

  1. Two darling cards, Lea :D Love the sparkly lemons :D

    Congrats on your decision re: Africa. I have always wanted to go!! I just love the wildlife there and there is something about the way the people sing from their souls there! I'm already looking forward to seeing some of the pictures you take! Good for you for stepping out and doing it! I'm sure God will show you many things and you will be changed forever after having gone. Our church has a sister church in Uganda that runs an orphanage for aids who's parents have died of aids. Every summer the VBS kids raise money to send them. They have three dormitories and about 60 kids. I'm SO excited for you!!!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beautiful cards! Congrats on your decision to go to Kenya. I LOVE the Band of Horse album too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been a huge fan of your work. You are so inspirational to me. Congrats on your trip to Africa. It will be the trip of a lifetime for you. Many blessings and traveling mercies and a safe journey for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those glittery lemons & limes, not to mention those giant scallops on your CP card. Hope you get some great shots at the wedding this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cards Lea! You will do a wonderful job with the photos. Will you be putting any up here on your blog? Sounds like you have a full plate with your trip and all. I definately want to see pics of your Africa trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cards! I can't wait until my stay-cation next week to watch the latest in the Twilight series! Bought the DVD months ago, when it was released, and haven't had the opportunity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome news about Kenya! i have a couple of friends who have done missions there, and they absolutely LOVED it... God really does work on those 'serving' probably as much or more than the ones 'receiving.' last summer i went to Ecuador with my church, and it was soo fun!

    really really love all your cards, and i think your lemon/ limes sentiment is really sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lea,

    Had I been in your spot so many years ago I would have leapt at the chance to go to Kenya. God has placed Africa on my heart for so long I've lost count. Only, He has introduced 2 other blessings to my life to help me grow in this plan. I hope to go when they're older. I really think you would do great w. an Etsy.

    God Bless,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards Lea!!! I LOVE reading your "ramblings"!!! LOVE your movie advice...I always forget the names...so this helps me huge!! Africa will be one amazing trip...can't wait to see you pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, bright cards Lea! I have loved all the missions trips I've been on and have always come back changed for the better! It is neat how in helping others, are hearts are changed and we are blessed! Blessings on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lea your cards are just fabulous - you are such a great inspiration! Thanks for playing at Card Patterns! Got my tickets to Eclipse - going with my girls at the IMAX - opening day - can't WAIT!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - so much to comment on! First off - congrats on your decision to go on the mission! That is wonderful! You will get so much fulfillment and enrichment out of it!! How exciting!!!

    I love your two cards! Those glittery lemons and limes are awesome! Reminds me of those candies you can buy in the store!!!

    I haven't seen either of those movies or listened to those soundtracks! But it's nice reading about it!
    Have a great night :)
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting!!!! I am so excited for you!!! My thoughts and prayers will be with you!!! Your cards are amazing as usual my friend!!! Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lea,
    A mission trip to Africa ... wow...what a fantastic journey to look forward to! God bless your heart and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW, so cool that you're going to Africa. Sounds like a great journey. And your cards are both gorgeous. I love the pretty rhinestones, that are familiar for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I just went back and read this years posts from you. You are so amazingly talented. I am super excited to follow you and add you to my blog roll!

    xoxo
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  17. GORGEOUS gorgeous cards Lea!
    I hope you're doing well!
    Just wanted to stop by and say HI!!
    xoxo!!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful cards Lea! I love all the yellow, it's one of my faves right now!

    Kenya, wow! What an exciting and wonderful adventure!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love, love, love the little sparkley fruit slices!! :)

    Wow - Kenya!! That is awesome, have a safe trip.

    Oh - my friend and I just started our own stamp company and we sell from our blogs. You can get a paypal account and button to put on your side bar. If you want to take a look here is the post when we started selling - http://scrappymel.blogspot.com/2010/06/its-time-scrappy-moms-stamps-is-taking.html. You can see the Paypal button on my right side bar. All the shipping info, etc is set up in paypal for you.

    Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. :)

    Melanie
    Scrappy Mel

    ReplyDelete
  20. FAbby cards the wee lemons tickle! Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lea, what gorgeous creations! I really love your designs and am so glad you could join us in the Embellish challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those pieces of fruit on your first card to go with the sketch are just so cute! LOVED those two movies that you watched, I need to see Alice again. WAY cool on your upcoming trip - what a blessing. You will be changed and amazed, I am sure! What a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow...great cards...I loved alice in wonderland..I am a total Tim Burton groupie...Love band of horses and I am IN LOVE with the eclipse soundtrack...its always better after the movie

    Bring on June 30th!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Lea! It's been a while since I've checked in with your blog...tons of cuteness, as always! I wish you all the best in your fund raising for your mission trip! Sounds like a great adventure! I pray that the Lord will bless you through every detail along the way!
    xo
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such great cards.

    Africa! How awesome is that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your trip to Africa will truly be the trip of a lifetime! So special on many, many levels!!

    I'm in love with your lemon/lime card. The colors are spectacular and could not remind me more of summer! :) The friendship card is so sweet with the scallops and flowers. What a lucky friend, indeed! ♥♥ Kay

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥