Paper Bakery - {Exclusive Stencil + Gesso}

March 1, 2014

Happy Saturday, blog friends!!  I have a a new card to share using the February Umbrella Rain card kit from Paper Bakery.  I was so excited to get my kit in the mail because it included a Paper Bakery exclusive stencil in a houndstooth design…which is one of my faves!!  I used white gesso for my card, but you could also use embossing paste.

At first I tried the gesso & stencil out on some patterned paper, but it didn’t give me the look I was going for.  I think the design was just a little too big.  So, I then tried it out on a block of heavy white cardstock…and it worked exactly how I wanted it!!  Here is my card!
Instructions:
1. Make A2 card from cashmere cardstock.
2. Cut white cardstock slightly smaller, then round the corners.
3. Tape the stencil to the cardstock, then apply a thin layer of gesso to it.
4. Remove the stencil carefully, then let the gesso dry.
5. Once dry, add a couple sprays of gold mist to it & let that dry.
6. Diecut a doily from floral paper, cut in half & layer to the left side of the white block.
7. Cut a banner edge to paper & vellum blocks, then layer together to the doily.
8. Zig-zag stitch along the left side of the doily & sentiment banner.
9. Adhere the entire block to the card front.
10. Cut the smaller banner from paper, and adhere to the upper right corner of the card.
11. Add the arrow flair to the top of the large banner.
12. Spray the hexagon wood veneer with gold mist, then add to the card front to finish.

Card Challenges:
-Retro Sketches #104
-Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge - paste
-Moxie Fab World "Happy Hexagons" challenge
-Totally PaperCrafts #208 - Make it Shine
-Charisma Cardz #5 - Something Not for Crafting

So, I've been wanting to spread my wings lately, & start learning to use product that I previously would have deemed too messy.  I have some of these amazing stencils, and I've seen other cardmakers using embossing paste with them.  Well...my local craft stores didn't have embossing paste ,but they did have gesso...so I got that & tried it out.  And it's FUN!!  Now I want to pick up the shimmery gold embossing paste that I found at SSS....it's in my cart, & just waiting to have enough items to check out!!

Alright...so we went to Minneapolis at the beginning of the week to just get away from Fargo for a few days.  Here is a little recap:
  • On our first night there we had dinner with my lifelong best friend, Jeremy and his new wife, Erin.  This night made my year.  Seriously.  Jer & I haven't seen each other since we were 20, and I've missed him SO much.  His wife, Erin, is so sweet and I can't wait to get to know her better.  A few hours definitely doesn't make up for how long we've been apart, but it was still so precious to me.  I can't wait until they come & spend a weekend with us in Fargo!! 
  • We went to the Mall of America on Tuesday afternoon.  It's huge.  And a bit overwhelming.  I could never actually shop there.  There are too many stores, and I would get an anxiety induced version of ADD trying to shop there.  But, it was fun to walk around, & we did get some things at Teavana, & a couple other small shops.
  • We went and saw "Tristan & Yseult" at the Guthrie Theatre and it was great!  So so funny in the first half, & then tragic in the second.  They did an amazing job with it.
  • We stopped at some outlet stores on our way home, & I got the cutest pair of Lucky cropped jeans for $11.  Seriously....ELEVEN dollars.  Normally priced around like, $100.  Pretty great deal, if I do say so myself.  
Well, that is all I have for you for now!!  I hope that you have a great Saturday!!

Until later,
~L.

Supply List:

13 comments

  1. Gorgeous, Lea - I love the shabby chic feel to it! Thanks so much for playing with us at RetroSketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the layering on your card. Its got that fun, yet feminine feel to it. So sweet! Love the added dimension of the embossing paste! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly lovely. You've arranged your elements so artfully. And a terrific use of gesso! Thank you for sharing your card with us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! Love the motivating sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Totally Papercrafts.

    Hugs
    Cathy DT Member
    xxxxx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty Lea! It's always fun to try something new!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a lovely card
    thanks for joining us at Charisma this week
    AllisonX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried gesso with my stencils yet. Seem to gravitate to modeling paste the most. Will have to give gesso a go! All of the elements of your card roll up to perfection! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lea, this is such a gorgeous card. I love the beautiful background you created and all the embellishments are fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your card, Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vraiment un très très belle carte !!!!! J'adoooooore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome card!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Charisma this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥