By the grace of God...

June 1, 2008

...Casey is alive today. First off...I am going to warn you right now that I have included a pretty graphic photo in this post of Casey's injuries. He has given me permission to post it. I did black out a part of it so it isn't indecent. But what you see in the photo could have been much worse.

Yesterday morning Casey was out riding on a dirt bike. He had a helmet on, but he didn't buckle the strap. Other than that, all he had on was jeans and a t-shirt. He was going about 60 miles per hour when he came up over a hill and a car pulled out right in front of him. He swerved and layed the bike down so he wouldn't hit the car. I don't even want to think of what would have happened if had hit the car. While the bike was sliding on the ground with him on it, his unbuckled helmet flew off.

Luck was on his side yesterday morning. Casey made the decision to ride that motorcycle without the necessary gear. Without even buckling his helmet. I think it is one of the dumbest decisions he has ever made, and I just pray that he realizes today that he isn't invincible. And that he truly believes there is a reason for all the safety gear you are supposed to wear. And that maybe he will just stay away from motorcycles for now. I hate them. I hate them with a passion.

If I wasn't so overly happy that he is alive...I would be over the top, kicking and screaming mad at him. I know that I actually do feel that way...but the part of me that just thanks God he is alive completely over powers any other emotions I am feeling right now.

As I sit here typing this...tears are just streaming down my face. I could have gotten a call that I dread most. My biggest fear...a fear that if I let it come to the surface it consumes me in nightmares...could have happened yesterday morning.

My little brother looks like this because he chose not to wear the right things. And truthfully...this could have been so much worse.

I know my parents have told him he needs to have safety gear on when he is on a motorcycle or a quad. But, he is seventeen. Seven months from legally being an adult. His decisions are his own. And this one came with consequences.

Pain. He is in a lot of pain. My dad had to redress some of the wounds last night. I think it is probably the most pain Casey has ever been in. Broken and dislocated bones, torn ligaments, surgery....they've got nothing on road rash.

He will be missing basketball tournaments, athletic camps that he as already signed up for...all of it gone in a second.

But, he still has his life. The rest of that really doesn't even matter compared to that very small statement. He still has his life.

So, for me....go hug your kid, or kids, or husband, or significant other, or pets....just hug something and tell them you are so happy that you have them.

~Lea

25 comments

  1. Oh my gosh - WOW. He is so lucky that he is alive, and you're right - nothing else matters EXCEPT that we learn from our mistakes. I pray that he will recover quickly and not have anything permanent from this other than some scars, and that he will remember to be as safe as possible in the future. Now, go give him a hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Some one up above was looking out for him that is for sure! So glad to hear that he is ok. We should all be grateful everyday for what we are blessed with, because life is just too short. Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is very short.
    Casey is extremely
    fortunate. period.

    Hugs hugs hugs to you,
    Lea. I am blown away
    by your unconditional
    love and support for
    your amazing, little brother.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my!!! Don't even want to think of the 'what if's'. He is extremely lucky and fortunate to have come out of it. Much love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad casey is okay.
    so scary lea.
    you are part of and have an amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Lea, God was definitely protecting Casey. Hopefully this will make him be more consciencous next time.

    Hugs to you for being sucha great sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, so glad he is ok! but ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lea I am so glad that he survived...that is really a small miracle. And the lesson he learned far outweighs what he'll be missing this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg! he's fortunate to be alive! as a RN i see too frequently how fragile our bodies can truly be. Thank God he's ok and hopefully he will make better decisions in the future! hugs Lea. how scary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch, those wounds looks so painful. I hope he makes a makes a speedy recovery.

    I found you blog, hopping today, love your cards & had a laugh & a good look at Orlando Bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, big ((hugs)) to you both. I'm sure he's in a ton of pain but as you said he's still here (all that matters for sure). You're a wonderful big sis and I sure hope he heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That gives me goosebumps reading about it! SO glad he's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, he's very lucky,it could have been so much worse, so glad he'll be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh man! I hope he's okay. I did that once, ended up in the hospital. The worst part is cleaning out the wounds. I hope Casey will heal fast! I'm sure your so happy he's here and fine. He'll have some fun scars!!- more battle wounds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so thankful that he was spared from something much worse.
    God must has great plans for him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so happy to hear he's ok
    it's a lesson he had to learn the hard way, unfortunately
    that's the way boys are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Lea I am so glad he is okay!

    HUGS to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh man that just made me shiver !! glad he's ok though as ok can be looking at them injuries !!
    hugs to you both !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Owwwwwwwwwwwww. I'm so glad he's still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OOOOOOOUCCCCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!! Thank God for His Angels being on guard that day!!!

    Big hugs to you...I know how much love a big sister has!!! (I have seven little brothers and one older...)

    Hang in there Lea....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, wow, I am so sorry, Lea, I hope he feels better soon. I know it will take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, how scary!! I am so glad that he is okay...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OUCH! Wishing Casey a quick recovery.. I'm sure he has learnt a lesson from this Lea!..a pretty big wake up call about personal risk!
    Take Care,
    Gxox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Lea!!! That kids has really put you through the emotional wringer this year!!! I am sooo glad he is ok!!! That is sooo scary!!!

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥