Red & Green.....who knew.

December 12, 2009

I will admit...I haven't ever been a big red & green fan for Christmas colors.  I know they are traditional and all that...but I have always preferred non-traditional colors that are more winter oriented than Christmasy.  Well, I have a couple of Christmas cards to share today that are of the more traditional variety....and I actually like them.  Like I said...who knew. ;)

They are having a fun challenge over at Our Creative Corner to make holiday themed cards.  So, these are part of that challenge.  My first card is based on Kazan's Sketch 41 at 2 Sketches 4 U this week.  Oh how I LOVED turning this cute little sketch into my own!!  It is a really great one for Christmas cards, so be sure to check it out.  I also used one of the latest stamp releases from Renaissance by Design.  I LOVE this set...there will be more to come with this set very soon.  Here is what I came up with:
"Wishing You Season's Best" supplies:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Paper: Making Memories, Scenic Route & American Crafts
Paper Frill: Doodlebug Designs
Flowers/Leaves: Prima
Jewels: Zva Creative
Brad: Creative Imaginations
Stamps: Renaissance By Designs (Season's Best)
Ink: Clearsnap (Pigment: Cranberry & Sepia Black) & Ranger Industries (Distress: Antique Linen)
Corner Rounder: EK Success

Card Instructions: Round the bottom corners of a red card base.  Round the bottom corners of a holidays paper block and ink the edges with distress ink.  Adhere to the front of the card.  Distress ink the edges of a strip of glitter dot paper, and add a strip of green paper frill to the bottom.  Adhere to the front of the card.  Round the bottom corners and distress ink the edges of a block of graph patterened paper, and adhere to the front.  Accent the corner of the paper with leaves, flowers and jewels.  Add a green glitter brad to the center of the flowers.  Stamp the sentiment inside the block using cranberry & sepia black pigment ink.  Distress ink a thin strip of striped paper and adhere to the top of the small paper block, and accent with jewels.
I have had this card sketched out since last week, but ran out of time to get it done until now.  It is based on last week's sketch at 2 Sketches 4 U, Laura's Sketch 40.  Can I just say how much I LOVE this window cut from the Christmas Solutions cartridge?  I see myself using it again in the near future....love it!  Here is my card:
"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" supplies:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics & Doodlebug Designs
Paper: Making Memories & American Crafts
Rub-on: American Crafts
Felt Sticker: Making Memories
Jewel: Westrim Crafts
Button: Doodlebug Designs
Ribbon: Renaissance By Design (Kiwi Satin Dot)
Twine: Darice Inc.
Border Punch: Fiskars (Apron Lace)
Corner Rounder: EK Success
Diecut Machine: Cricut Expression by Provo Craft
Diecut Cartridge: Christmas by Provo Craft

Card Instructions:  Round the corners of a block of snowflake flocked paper and distress ink the edges.  Adhere to the middle of the card.  Distress in the edges of a strip of holiday patterned paper.  Punch an apron lace border to striped paper and cut into a thin strip.  Distress ink the entire border strip and adhere to the bottom of the holiday paper.  Adhere to the front of the card.  Accent the bottom of the holiday paper with ribbon, and a bow.  Tie a button around the bow with twine.  Cut the window diecut and its layers at 3 1/4" using the Cricut Expression and Christmas cartridge.  Adhere it to the front of the card.  Accent the window with a felt sticker and green jewel.

So, do I think I will change all my Christmas decorations to red and green in my home?  Well....no.  But, I don't have quite the aversion to it that I once did.  It is actually very pretty on projects, especially Christmas cards!  Now I know....:)

Well, we are headed to the Griz game pretty soon.  So, I better go and get layered up, since it takes a little bit to get dressed for these things.  The temp isn't going to get over 20 degrees....so we need to make sure we stay warm!  Here is hoping the Griz pull out another victory...then we will be on the way to the national championship!!  GO GRIZ! ♥

Until later,
~Lea

14 comments

  1. Lovely cards - I am liking the polka dot ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Lea! These are beautiful designs! Thanks for making a card for 2S4Y this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely beautiful! I, like you, am not a red and green person but there are so many great red and green papers out this year that I love (I think it is the black with them that I like)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very beautiful, Lea . Nice to meet you.
    Cheers,
    Uyen

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh Lea these are beautiful - I am also making more traditional colored cards lately - I think it depends on my mood and where that takes me. Thanks for the inspiration
    Hugs
    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lea, both of these cards are fabulous! I love all the bright red & green! The crystal bling on the first really sparkles & that green polk a dotted bow is perfect on the second! Keep warm girlie! :) TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful! I've been experiencing a similar situation except it's the opposite when dealing with the Christmas colors. I've always been traditional and really love red and green. But this year I've been experimenting with the non-trad colors and really liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some body that's not a fan of red and green you really made some gorgeous cards. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog, Happy Holidays, your name is in the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowee! Amazing cards! So detailed and festive! Thanks for playing along with 2 Sketches 4 You! :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lea!

    Thanks for the invite to stop by.
    I just have to tell you I LOVE these cards. They are beautiful.

    Hope you've been able to submit some cards to Paper Crafts for the Card Creations call. You do amazing work!

    Teri
    Paper Crafts Go-to-Gal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, these are so beautiful Lea!!! love the papers and designs especially that poinsettia and blingy swirls!!! :)

    Blessings, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cards are totally different but I love them both. The sparkle on the top one is beautiful and festive.

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your sweet words of kindness. I'm very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I am just drooling over your cards! I can't even begin to say what I love about them because I love EVERYTHING about them! Thanks so much for sharing with us this week at the OCC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving your blog and all of your work!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥