Any man can be a father...

June 6, 2011

...but it takes someone special to be a DAD.  There couldn't be any truer words.  And the great thing about this life is that a dad doesn't have to be biological.  It can be a step-dad who raises you from the age of 4, loving you unconditionally and never making you feel like you weren't really his.  Because you are his in every way except by blood...and that just doesn't really matter.  Maybe you had a grandfather that raised you, or an uncle.  Maybe it was a big brother, or even just a close friend.  This card was meant for all of them.  The ones who took on the role of dad when they didn't really have to. 

I created this for a couple of different challenges as well.  First up, I used Mojo Monday Sketch #194 to help with the design of it.  I also used Embellish's Text Color Trends challenge for the colors of it.  I am also entering this into the June MFT Guest Designer Contest, which is about "Getting Personal".  I don't think you can get much more personal than what I wrote in the paragraph above...especially considering the first scenario is my own.  Here is what I created!!
"Any Man Can be a Dad..." supplies:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Paper/Paper Layers/Transparency: Glitz Design (Love Games: Damask, Stripe)
Stamps: My Favorite Things (Clearly Sentimental about Fathers set)
Ink: Clearsnap (Chalk: charcoal) & Tsukineko (Versafine: onyx black) 
Ribbon/Button/Scalloped Die: Papertrey Ink
Twine: Darice Inc.
Brad: K & Company
Jewels: Glitz Design (small black) & International Greetings USA (clear)
Diecut Machine: Cuttlebug by Provo Craft
Sewing Machine/Thread

Instructions:  Fold green cardstock in half to make card base.  Ink the edges of a texted paper layer & houndstooth paper block, and layer together.  Cut a large scalloped border from damask paper, ink the edges, and adhere at the seam.  Tie ribbon around the middle of the seam, and stitch a button to the middle of the bow using twine.  Zig zag stitch along the edges of the entire paper block, and then adhere to the card front.  Stamp the sentiment to the lower right corner of the stitched paper block.  Create an accordion fold medallion from striped paper, and then adhere a fabric brad through the middle.  Adhere two ribbon strips to the bottom of the medallion to make it look like a ribbon award.  Adhere the entire medallion to the left of the bow.  Cut the transparent "1" out, accent with a strip of small black jewels and adhere to the right side of the medallion.  Accent the right scallop with 3 clear jewels to finish. 

I really love how this card turned out!!  I tend to create cards that are more feminine in nature...but I love the masculine colors and feel of this one!!  It definitely has some feminine touches here and there...but I am not sure what you expect when a women is creating it!! Tee hee!  

I have another recognition to share with you tonight as well!  I created a sweet little baby card last week, and it was picked as a Tea Time Terrific Top 3 at The Shabby Tea Room!! Thanks ladies...I appreciate it!!
Well, that is all I have for now!  I need to take the hubby some dinner at work, so I need to get going for now!  I hope that you have a wonderful rest of your Monday night!! 

Until later,
~Lea L.

23 comments

  1. Beautiful Card and the the meaning behind the sentiment is so sincere, it makes the card that much more beautiful !! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very cool card. Beautiful, yet masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lea! This is such a beautiful card. I love it..LOVE what you have created. I also love what you said about fathers. Very true..! Also wanted to thank you for taking the time to detail your materials list and instructions. I know how long that takes and I just wanted to tell you that it is appreciated as through you I have picked up so many tricks and learnt so many products. So thank you for sharing your knowledge with us and teaching us in your own little classroom here...Have a great day! Nadia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really beautiful card made more beautiful by the meaning behind it all. Love all the colours you chose and the buttons with the ribbons. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful Lea, both the card and it's meaning.

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully designed:) I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very beautiful card! I love the background "word search" paper - and your stitching is so perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lea, you AMAZE me! This is OUT of this world MAGNIFICENT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I could marry this I <3 it so much! And you speak such truth! All father FIGURES are to be celebrated. :) They are treasures to hold on to dearly... So glad you joined us for the Embellish Color Trends Challenge, Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another Lea beauty. :) And thanks for sharing some about yourself. I love feeling like I'm getting to know other crafters through their blogs. Thanks for joining us at Embellish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LEA!!!! This is absolutely wonderful! No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get something I liked out of these colors...but you...YOU ROCKED IT completely. Your card is just great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely amazing, Lea...what a delight for the eyes! You are truly a master at mixing elements and details, everything looks perfect in it's placement. Gorgeous detail and incredible photography! I'm not so well versed in masculine, it's good to know that I have a place to come to for divine inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great Father's day card!! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw your card on MFT favs! Amazing card! I love it. Thanks for sharing your story. I agree; my Dad raised me from age 2 and adopted me when I was 4. Couldn't ask for a sweeter, kinder yet spirited Father! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, such a beautifully unique card. I love the colors you used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a spectacular card! I love the word search paper and as usual all your details come together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful. Love your ribbon/accordian/button element. Thanks for playing Mojo Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your shout out for this card, love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW oh WOW!!! Total perfection Lea!!! LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥