Cupcake fun at 2 Sketches 4 U!

January 27, 2009

The 2 Sketches 4 U blog is all cupcake themed this week...and well, it is pretty obvious that by the looks of my blog I love cupcakes! Hee hee! So, up first is my card for Laura's sketch #18. I used some Heidi Grace papers that I have had FOREVER, called "Sweet Cakes". I can't even give you a link to them because they are no longer on the website...that is how long I have had them in my stash. :) (I still love them though, and that is why I hoard them.)

Up next is my card for the bonus sketch this week at 2S4U. The sketch was done up by Rae Barthel, one of the DT members of the blog. It was a fun sketch to work with, so be sure to scroll down further in the post to see it! I used some Creative Cafe felt as my background, and some October Afternoon and Heidi Swapp paper scraps on this one. AND, I so used the collection name from my first card as part of my sentiment...I was totally inspired! And those cute cupcake stickers are from Martha Stewart Crafts. Love them!I came upon another sketch blog recently called "Friday Sketchers", and fell in love with the latest sketch. So, of course, I had to whip something up for it. This is my card that is inspired by sketch #36. Love having another sketch blog to frequent...I think I am addicted to card challenges! Hee! This card has Glitz Designs "Hot Mama" and Little Yellow Bicycle "Love Letters" collections mixed together. The diecut accents were cut out with my Cricut Expression and the cartridges "Storybook" and "Going Places".

My blog friend Katie asked about how I take photos of my cards. I don't have a light box, but I do have a procedure that seems to work for me. I am no pro, but most of the time I think my photos look pretty good. So, here is my process. Part of my desk faces east, and that is where I set up my cardstock backdrop. I normally use white, but if the card is primarily white, I will use black or a coordinating color. The window streams light in from the north, so during the winter I can get good shots from 10a-3 or 4p, and in the summer...about 7a-9p. If I have a lot of light coming in from outside, I don't turn the lights on in the room at all. This helps keep the natural colors of the card. If it is a bit dreary or cloudy out, I will turn on the main light in the room, and the lamp furthest from the east side of my desk. Any lamp light too close causes weird shadowing and coloring. Once the photo is on my computer, I adjust the levels in Photoshop, run an unsharp mask, and run my card frame action. That is my process in a nutshell. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

That is everything I have to share craft wise. We are going to watch Casey play basketball tonight, so we are excited for that! Basketball is harder to make it to than football, so this is a treat!! Plus, they are playing the Drummond Trojans, and they have a good relationship with that team. So, it is always fun to play them!

I did rediscover something this past weekend. Me + Costco + Sunday afternoon= DISASTER. I had to go pick some groceries up on Sunday so that we wouldn't be tempted to eat out this week. I don't normally shop for anything on the weekend. ANYTHING. I hate crowds...I hate waiting in line....I HATE not being able to get through a FREAKING aisle because everyone and their cat feels the need to block it in order to wait for that coveted 1/2 peice of ravioli that Costco happens to be pawning off that day. Grrr....I feel my blood pressure rising even thinking about it. But, it served as a good reminder that any and all shopping I do needs to get done M-Th, or Josh needs to do it. :)

And one last thing...I know it isn't Christmas anymore. But, I was searching for something completely different on Youtube last night...and this part of the movie Elf came up on the search. I LOVE this movie...and this is my favorite part. I laugh hysterically every time I see this part...so I thought I would make you laugh today!


Until later,
~Lea

36 comments

  1. That's the cutest paper, I've hoarded a bunch of older HG stuff too.

    Elf is one of my favorite movies of all time, that scene kills me! Thanks for the laugh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, cute! I think you are officially
    "The Cupcake Girl" I love them both:)
    Thanks for playing!
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards!!!! I love those little cupcakes from Martha Stewart!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lea - your cards are just adorable! Not sure how it gets better then cupcakes but I will say the last card is my favorite in that cute pink and black!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally fabulous cupcake creations! I love what you've done with the sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love all of your cards...they just scream "happy"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too LOVE Elf :) It's the new Christmas classic!! That scene is hilarious! My favorite is when he starts singing the duet in the restroom...LOL!

    Well, all of your cards are yummy!! Gorgeous work, girl!

    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cards are always so eminent, and so are these!!! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing cards Lea!! I feel the same way about Costco on Sundays too! Way too stressful!! Good luck to Casey!! I hope he has a great season!! Benny has started Spring Soccer practice. Looking forward to attending some games in the near future!! Have a great day, Lea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM!! I love what you've cooked up here ;) ... both cards are absolutely fabulous.. I love your interpretation of my sketch, thanks for playing with it!
    {I despise crowds too, I cringed reading your Costco story.. blech.}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lea, your cards are just stunning, bright and happy as well as great interpretations of the sketches. I am glad there is also someone else out there that does exactly the same as me when it gets to photographing cards. One can't go wrong having white board behind and underneath your card, facing a window with natural light streaming in and then editing the brightness in Photoshop. It also works every time for me. TFS. Hugs from Desire

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH girlie.. I'm sooo in love with your gorgeous work! Just can't get enough of those cute little details everywhere!! Have a great week! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Uh...YUMMY! I love those cupcake cards! Just so fun. Never have seen ELF, looks like I may have to remedy that. Have a fab day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. fabulous takes on the sketches Lea and I love those yummy cupcakes
    Hugs
    kath
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous cards !!!
    These cards are FUN !

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cards are gorgeous!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. SANTA!! I know him!!!!!!!! :D

    I love that part...you're so cute Lea!

    GORGEOUS cards! I need lessons from you! You should write an idea book! :D

    I am always in awe of your creativeness!!
    HUGS!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl! Your cards are fabulous! Truly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so completely fabulous! i am in awe of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous take on the challenge Lea, love love love your work and your blog. I am going to stalk you (oops, I mean follow you :)
    hugs
    Enfys x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow gorgeous, beautiful cards. Love the first cupcake one, so pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great cards, Lea!! I love the pink and black one! It's so girly and sophisticated!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. fantastic use of the 2 (2 sketches 4 you) sketches.

    i really love the wording on the firs card, so fitting,

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those have got to be the cutest cupcake cards EVER!!! I love them! The stickers from MS are so adorable!

    I have to agree with you...I dislike going to Costco on the weekends with a passions! LOL! I plan my trips there mid-week to avoid the crowds, too!

    Elf is one of my favorite holiday movies, too! That clip is too funny! The one my dh and I enjoy is the "angry elf" scene. LOL! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. these are really original and the colours are so bright. love them

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous cards you made!
    Love them!
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lea, these look good enough to eat! Absolutely gorgeous, as always! I love your creations!
    Hugs Mrs Jx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, they are all so very gorgeous, Lea!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥