My life changing news...

March 31, 2009

Do these give you a hint?








Well....these shots are purely amateur. But, it is what I have wanted to do my whole life. So, starting June 1st, I will be attending the Summer Intensive, two professional series courses in weddings & editorial portraiture, and Advanced Intensive at the Rocky Mountain School of Photography here in Missoula, MT.

I don't often share very personal stuff here, but maybe it is time for just a little snippet into my decision. I really wanted to go to school for photography the first time around. But, at the tender age of 18 when I was very impressionable and a little scared of being in college....my counselor talked me out of photography because it was a journalism degree at the University of Montana. So, I pursued Business Administration instead, with my emphasis in both marketing and management. And you know what...I don't regret that decision. Having a business degree is only going to help me in the long run. And the fact that I have worked for the past 7 years in a business related field has given me experience that will be invaluable.

After graduating and getting married...I put that dream on a back burner and didn't really think about it much. I still took tons of photos and still loved doing it. But, we were so green in our new life, and I was fresh out of college with a large debt from said college to pay off. And while photography didn't become unimportant...it just became out of my reach for the time being.

Fast forward to when Josh surprised me with my first DSLR in October of 2006...the entry level Nikon D50. I was in love. I don't think in love even describes it. The speed....the settings...the clarity it shot with- photography came to the forefront again. I took hundreds upon hundreds of photos with my D50. More photos than I even knew how to edit. Along with taking the hundreds of photos...I started learning how to use Photoshop. I still only know a small portion of Photoshop, but I look forward to learning it inside and out come June 1st.

I started thinking a lot about photography school, and I learned about the school right here in Missoula. Lots of fabulous reviews from past students, instructors...even community members who have either know students or hired photographers that graduated from there. Starting in January of 2008...I was studying and devouring the website often. I think by July I knew everything they had to offer by heart. By November...I was consumed by it. I knew I had to make a decision. So- finally at the beginning of this year, I sat down with Josh and we made the decision. It was time for me to reach for my dream. To pull it from the back burner.

So, since then we have been getting everything in line for me to start in June. I have to quit my job in order to attend...so we have been saving. The financial aspect has been the scariest part for me, but we have it all figured out now. I can breath a sigh of relief, and actually believe that this is really happening. I can tell people that I am going to school because I know for sure now...I really am. That thought just makes me smile.

So, there you have it. A little bit of my heart poured out. I am excited, and nervous, and scared...but more peaceful than I have felt in a long time. I know this is the right decision for me and for Josh...and for our future.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my exciting news! If you made it this far....you are a saint. I will be sure to take anyone along on my adventure that wants to...just keep up with my blog starting June 1st. (Well...I would love for you to keep up with my blog before then as well. Tee hee!)

Until later,
~Lea

PS- I know that I mentioned a giveaway card challenge...and I still plan to do it. I totally dropped the ball this weekend on it, and I am so sorry!! Please be on the lookout for the challenge information this week! I promise there really will be one, and it is a great giveaway!!

30 comments

  1. Congratulations Lea! How wonderful for you to be able to follow your dream! Obviously you have the talent and the passion to be a tremendous success! Woohoo for you!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. How exciting for you to be able to make your dreams come true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new course, snd I look forward to hearing of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Lea!! I know you are so excited about school and your future. Kudos to you for taking the plunge to make your dream become a reality. Best of luck and I'll be tuning in for updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I am so happy to hear you will be following your dream! Good for you and the best of luck with all you do. Enjoy! debb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your decision Lea. Your pictures are AWESOME. Amateur or not...be proud of them. I can't wait to watch your work "blossom." Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fantastic you are fulfilling your dream. I too would like to get a photography business going, but always something seems to stop me. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited for you! You will totally rock at it. So glad you are living your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. woot woot! Congrats Lea...I always get sooo excited when someone figures out what they want to do when they grow up, kwim? I think that it is fabulous that you are pursuing a dream...we all know that you'll do a spectacular job because you are so ultra-talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What exciting news, Lea! I wish you the best of luck. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's no reward without risk, and the best time to take it is now. Soon you'll have children, and then your dream will be even further out of reach.

    I'm really excited for you, and so happy that you're putting yourself first and going for your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LEA!!!! that is so exciting, i am so thrilled for you! can't wait to see what all you do! you go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratuations! Way to reach for your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lea that is so awesome... I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time. I am so happy for you and can't wait to join you on your journey...

    Congrats girl

    Hugs
    Elisa K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Lea!!! Good for you for chasing your dream!!! You are going to do wonderfully, I have no doubt!!! Congrat's!! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY!!! I'm so excited for you, Lea! Congratulations on taking the steps necessary to bring that dream come true! It is so very rewarding to pursue a dream (albeit a bit scary at the beginning), but so very worth it!

    Knowing you...I'm certain that when you graduate from photography school, you'll be doing something that you absolutely love and are so gifted at doing...just looking at the photos you've shared and mentioned as being amateur-ish amazes me...they're fabulous! When you go pro, I can only imagine how much more awesome your skills will be!

    May God bless you abundantly as your use the gift that He has given to you, dear friend!

    Hugs and blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are gorgeous! Congratulations! I am so very excited for you as you pursue your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!! You can never go wrong when you follow your heart and your dreams. Best wishes to you on this next creative endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know about being a saint, but what an interesting story. How exciting. Congrats on the wonderful news. I hope you will still have time to make your beautiful creatons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on pursuing your dream! Looking forward to seeing your awesome abilities. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy for you. It is wonderful seeing people obtain a dream. You are gonna be an awesome professional photographer. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so lucky to be following your dream! It think it is wonderful...enjoy and good luck!
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, these photographs are already wonderful! You are going to be one amazing photographer after your training!!!!! What a joy to be able to fulfill your dream! Congratulations on the exciting news!!! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  24. You go for it girl! You'll be amazing at it! How exciting it is to know that you are about to embark on making your dreams become reality!? All the best wishes for success! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lea!! What wonderful news!!
    I'm so excited for you!
    What a FUN adventure.
    I can't wait to see all you do!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome, Lea!! I wish you the very best as you pursue your dream.

    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations Lea. Fabulous news on your course. I wish you all the very best in your new dream and hope it works well for you. I've just done a similar thing and it's exciting, scary, but most of all so liberating. You're very talented, I'm sure you will sail through it. Go girl ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow Lea. You don't need to learn anything about composition going to photography school as your photos are so well balanced with all the correct photographic elements of composition in them. You are already a Pro. Everything of the best for fulfilling your life long dream and may June 2009 be the beginning of a lifetime of fulfilling moments and memories for you. Good Luck and keep snapping away. Hugs from Desire

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, where have I been!?
    I'm so proud of you for following your dream! Even knowing what you want the most is the biggest part!
    I still struggle with WHAT I really want. So knowing that is awesome. Wishing you the best of luck and I'll be looking for more updates on school life in June!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥