Grateful Day 1

November 23, 2009

I noticed myself changing a lot once I started photography school.  One of those changes came in the form of becoming a night owl.  So, it seems I am becoming a night time blogger now.  Which works for me!! :)

I decided this week that I wanted to do an entire week on Thanksgiving and what I am grateful for.  I am so abundantly blessed in this life, so much so that it seems unfair almost, and I really wanted to share some of it with you.  I would also love to get your feedback on where my blog starts to go from here.  Now that I am finished with school, I do have a bit more time on my hands.  So, I am making it a goal to blog more often.  I have made the decision that this will not be a photography blog.  My business will have its own blog for the photography aspect of my life, so I figured just letting you know that I have updated it would work better.  I want to keep this blog more personal, more about crafting, and randomness. ♥ So, are there things you want me to blog about?  Questions you want me to answer?  What type of things will keep you coming?

I have a couple of cards that I want to share with you.  Do you want to know what I love about blog surfing?  I find some of the greatest challenges while doing it!!  There is this great color challenge going on at a blog called "Just Us Girls".  I had never checked this blog out before, and I am so glad I did!  The color combo is fabulous....pumpkin pie, bashful blue, and really rust.  So, this card is based on that color challenge, and the sketch at Mojo Monday Week 114
On the card I used two really cute stamp sets from Renaissance By Design.  The pumkin & leaf images are from the "Halloween" stamp set, and the 'Thanks' part of the sentiment is from the "Curly Trees" stamp set.  If you haven't ever checked out RBD...I suggest you do!  I love the stamps...they stamp beautifully.  It is really hard to see, but I also dry embossed a square around the pumpkin image.  It adds so much to it in real life...I wish it would have photographed better!  But...low light.  What can you do?!
  "Give Thanks" Supplies: 
Cardstock: DCVW & Bazzill Basics
Papers: Sassafras & October Afternoon
Stamps/Ribbon: Renaissance By Design
Twine: Darice Inc. 
Rub-on letters: Creative Imaginations
Jewels: Doodlebug Designs
Ink: Clearsnap Chalk Ink (Amber Clay, Burnt Sienna, Ice Jade)
Border Punch: Martha Stewart Crafts
Embossing Tool: ScorPal
Button: craft supply

I also have a non Thanksgiving themed card to share with you.  My brain has been throwing around this idea with these stamps for awhile now...but I couldn't get the idea to come to fruition.  While blog surfing...I found another keeper of a site called the "Clean & Simple Stamp Blog".  They posted FTL #69 on Friday....and the lights went on! ♥  Love it when that happens!
I used Kitchen Sink's "Plaid Plus" stamp set to stamp the heart stripes on each side of the card.  And then finished off the sentiment with Hero Art's "Sky's The Limit" stamp set.  (One of my faves...BTW.)

"Wishing You Rainbows" Supplies: 
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Stamps: Kitchen Sink & Hero Arts
Jewels: Doodlebug Designs
Ink: Doodlebug Designs pigment (Ladybug, Bumblebee & Beetle Black), & Clearsnap Chalk & pigment (Amber Clay, Lime Pastel, French Blue & Heliotrope)
Corner Rounder: EK Success

Alright...so now to get down to what I am grateful for, day #1.  It is going to sound obvious and cliche...but this year couldn't have happened without it.  I am so grateful for my wonderful husband's support this year.  
We made the decision together that I would attend photography school in January of this year.  It was a leap...emotionally, financially...every "ally" word you can think of.  He was right on board with me from the beginning.  He kept me sane during all the crazy hours I kept.  He cooked for the big BBQ bash we had at the end of summer intensive.  He took care of the dogs at lunch time, which had always been my thing.  He has financially supported us 100% since June.  There is so much more, and he has never batted an eye at any of it.  He did it willing, and in full support of my dream.  What an amazing person I married.  I am so lucky that 7 1/2 years ago I got to say "I do" to him.  Now that I am out of school, he is keeping me motivated on my website, and getting my name out there.  

He also got me this: 
(Not from that place...I took the image off the internet.)  So, here is the story.  When Josh was in Turkey he told me that my Christmas present would arrive while he was gone.  Sure enough....two boxes found their way to my doorstep.  About three days after Josh got home from Turkey, he tells me that they actually aren't my Christmas presents and he wants me to open them.  I declined at first, stating that we didn't need to keep spending money on me.  It would be my Christmas present.  Then he says that what is in the boxes was actually free.  I give him the "whatever" look, but he persisted.  I finally relented, because I knew he would just keep at it.  The boxes opened to reveal a Nikon D700 and battery grip.  I cried.  And I told him that they were not free, because I know full well how much they cost.  He reveals that he cashed in some of his stock options to pay for it, so thus it actually was "free".  And I cried a lot more.  It makes me a little teary just typing it.  Seriously...the man is just amazing.  And I am SO grateful to God that I have him in my life...I am so not worthy.     


And the last thing I am going to leave you with tonight is a music post.  I can admit...I am way behind the times on this one, but I was introduced to a band that I am loving right now.  They are called Augustana, and they rock.  You can totally let me know how behind I am...because you have probably heard their music for forever now! I'm okay with that...I deserve it! ♥  This is one of my favorite songs so far. 


Alright...I am going to get going for now!  Sorry my post is forever long.  I had a lot to say tonight!  Hugs & ♥ to you!

Until later,
~Lea

17 comments

  1. Girl I am loving your cards and I think your hubby is a keeper... Can't wait to see what kind of shots you take with that camera...

    Hugs
    Elisa K

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOTH cards are very pretty Lea! I like the big polk a dot bow with the cute button & bead embellie! Great job with the Just Us Girls color challenge. I like the simplicity of the second card & all the colored jewels! Thanks for playing along with JUGS - I hope you return Saturday for a fun template challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what awesome cards! Thanks to you for commenting on my blog (MojoMonday)- it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself! My dream would be to do a professional photography course, but until such a time as it is possible I'll keep reading and keep trying new things :) I have 2 (sometimes unwilling) subjects in my 2 daughters so I can practise!
    Rachel (from Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of your cards...especially the rainbow blingy'licious one:) Your hubby is definitely a keeper...what a thoughtful man..

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, both of your cards are so pretty!!!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lea, both cards are gorgoues! I LOVE the bow on the first card (how do you tie those?!) and the bling on the second.
    Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your rainbow card, so very cute!
    Your cocker spaniel is adorable too. We have one too & a cockapoo.Have a nice Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both cards! The first one has a great color combo and the pumpkin is all dainty and delicate. The second one is so clever! Love the play with colour and the matching gems! Looks wonderful against the white!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these! Especially your fall to layout... I went stipes too but looks completely different! Gotta get that posted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh gorgeous cards! ♥♥♥ them both, but that rainbow one...WOW!! (but then I have a thing for rainbows)

    What a sweet man you have! Yup, definitely a keeper!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous cards! Seriously stunning! The rainbow card is fantastic :) What an awesome gift from a wonderful man! Love Augustana too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning - absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it. Thanks so much for playing along with Just us Girls - hope to see you back again on Saturday. Love the story about your new camera! What a great man. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This post is just packed with all sorts of neat stuff! First, I love your JUGs challenge card! So pretty and I love the vintage feel of it! Second, I just adore the rainbow card! Such a clever use of that image and the crystals! The camera looks awesome, and I'm playing the music you shared...very nice song! Thanks so much for playing our JUGs challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a darling, supportive and generous husband you have! You two are adorable together! I'm glad you're going to have more time to blog now. I missed your beautiful creations when you were at school. I know...my selfish reasons..!! ;o) I'm in love with both of these cards and adore the details. The rainbow card is SO creative and original. You are GOOD, girl!! ♥♥ Kay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your JUGs challenge card is fabulous -- LOVE it! Thanks so much for leaving me a comment on my blog too!!!
    Your rainbow card is just A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully done! The rainbow card is super cute! I love the colours on the first card, what a pretty palette!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOve both of your cards here Lea! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Just Us Girls. We hope you'll come back for more soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥