Even a paper figure skater....

January 4, 2010

...is beautiful!  I have two projects to share with you today, and they both feature cuts from the Winter Woodland cartridge.  I have wanted to use the figure skater cut since the first time I saw it....but never had a good idea for it until now.  And even paper figure skaters are beautiful...I just love this cut!!

Both cards fit the current challenge at The Pink Elephant....except for one small detail.  When I read the challenge this afternoon, I looked at part of it wrong.  The challenge is to use two patterned papers, 3 buttons and snowflakes....for some reason I read it as "a" button...not 3.  So, my cards only have a button on each one...hopefully I won't get thrown to the sharks. ;)  Tee hee! It is also based on Taylored Expression Sketch #96...which is a FAB sketch.  Check it out if you haven't already!

"Baby It's Cold Outside" supplies:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Paper: Imaginisce
Stickers: Making Memories
Pearls: Kaiser Craft
Button: Doodlebug Designs
Ribbon: Michael's brand
Twine: Darice Inc.
Stamp: Renaissance By Design (Tis The Season set)
Ink: Clearsnap (Pigment: Ruby)
Hole Punch: We R Memory Keepers (Cropodile)
Diecut Machine: Cricut Expression by Provo Craft
Diecut Cartridge: Winter Woodland by Provo Craft

Instructions: Fold white cardstock in half to make card base and round the bottom corners.  Punch holes in the shape of an arc to a block of kraft cardstock and round the bottom corners.  Adhere to the front.  Round the bottom corners of a block of snowflake paper and adhere to the front.  Round the top corners of a block of white cardstock and adhere to the front.  Add ribbon around the seam, and tie a button to the middle of the bow with twine.  Cut the figure skater and layers at 4.5" using the Cricut Expression and Winter Woodland cartridge.  Adhere together and attach to the front of the card.  Accent with white puff balls and pearls.  Stamp "Baby It's Cold Outside" inside the arc using ruby pigment ink.  Finish the sentiment with letter stickers on the white cardstock block. 

This next card uses the sketch for Just Us Girls Challenge 14.  I actually did this card twice.  I did it last night with different papers....and it was a hot mess.  It was awful...I hated it.  So, this afternoon I sat down with it to figure out what I didn't like about it.  For this version, I used completely different papers, I didn't use the background layer for the text, and a different accent cut....and it is SO much better.  I think the biggest difference is the papers though....sometimes colors and papers just don't work out!!  So remember that....if you hate a card you make, try to rework with different product.  Now I love this card!!

"Warm Winter Wishes" supplies:
Cardstock: Bazzill Basics
Paper: Imaginisce
Ribbon: Michael's brand
Button: Doodlebug Designs
Pins: Making Memories & Maya Road
Pearls/Jewels: Zva Creative
Corner Rounder: EK Success
Border Punch: Stampin Up
Diecut Machine: Cricut Expression by Provo Craft
Diecut Cartridge: Winter Woodland by Provo Craft

Instructions: Fold kraft cardstock in half to make card base.  Round the corners of a patterned paper block and adhere to the front.  Punch a scallop border to brown cardstock, and cut a thin strip.  Adhere to the bottom of a strip of snowflake paper, and adhere to the front.  Round the top corners of a block of kraft cardstock, and adhere to the front.  Cut the lettering and shadows at 3.5" using the Cricut Expression and Winter Woodlands cartridge.  Layer together and adhere to the kraft block.  Add a ribbon and bow to the right side of the card, and accent with a button & pins.  Cut the ice skate accent and layers at 2" using the Cricut Exression and Winter Woodlands cartridge.  Layer together, accent with pearls, and adhere to the front.  Finish accenting the card with jewels.

I bought something at Target tonight that was just meant to be.  I have wanted one of these for three years, but wasn't willing to cough up $250 for one:

Well, Josh and I went to Target tonight to pick up some household items.  We were casually meandering through the Christmas stuff after we picked up our necessary items...not committing to anything even though it was all 75% off.  Then my eyes fixed on this box....one lonely little tree box sitting on a shelf beckoning me....calling my name....whispering "you know you want to buy me".  And it happened to be the EXACT white tree I have wanted for three years...and I got it for 62 bucks.  YIPPEE!  I was (and still am) a giddy little thing right now...it does kind-of suck that it has to go in the crawl space for now.  But, it gives me something to look forward to!!

Well, I better get going for now.  I hope that your Monday after New Year's has been a fabulous one!!  Talk to you soon! ♥

Until later,
~Lea

36 comments

  1. Your cards are just amazing!!!!! love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMWord - what gorgeous cards! I just got this cartridge too but I haven't played with the figure skater yet. Your papers are beautiful too! And congrats on the white tree too! Gotta love the Target after Christmas sales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantabulous card Lea...love your style and OMGoodness...I LOVE your new tree!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous cards! You have such a unique style! I love how you did the half-circle element of the sketch and the sentiment is super fun! Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lea...they are both positively (correct # of buttons or not...lol)!! I love them!! Yippppeeee for your tree!!

    So happy you shared your cards with TPE this week...They are fab!!

    LORi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Lea! You have been one busy girl! I love all the detail in all of these cards! You sure have been giving your Cricut a workout :) You did an awesome job with Lisa's sketch! Thank you so much for playing along with Just Us Girls - I hope you return Saturday for an all new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous and bright cards! I love the Cricut sentiments you used and all the tiny bling elements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love the figure skater card especially, totally beautiful and it really makes me wish I had a Cricut! {sigh}

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS, amazing cards Lea!!! love the vivid colors and your incredible style ;)
    nice score on the tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are both such fantastic cards! I think I need that cartridge now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous cards Lea. I love that skater! Great job with the sketch... very creative with the brads and tiny holes... TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gorgeous cards, love that skater (close second to the rainbows ;) you definitely scored on the tree, yay for Christmas joy in January!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. those are just gorgeous! that skater is stunning.

    and the score with the tree? awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lea, you have me so pumped about my Cricut!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the reds and pompom trim on the skater's dress - beautiful! What a pretty, white Christmas you'll have next year with your new tree!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love what you did with your Cricut! Congrats on the awesome deal... I love those. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, these are gorgeous Lea! I especially love the poms you added to the skater's dress...soooo cute!!

    Love your tree! I think the white ones are so pretty, but I could never get DH to go for it, lol!

    Hope you are having a fabulous New Year!
    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic cards and wow love your tree - that will be so gorgeous next Christmas.

    Thanks for sharing with us at The Pink Elephant.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. omigosh, lea l., your cards are amazing!! so full of rich detail & yummy goodness.
    i love checking in to see what you've been up to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the inspiration. Both cards are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow your cards are just stunning, and baby its hot onside today! (LOL) thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are beautiful cards! Thank you for joining TPE this week!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice card. Love how you used the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year, Lea!!

    Such a lovely figure skater card! Gosh, you're good!! I laughed out loud at your "hot mess" comment! I LOVE saying that, too! Although I can't imagine anything you create being a hot mess! Beautiful card, sweetie!!

    Congrats on scoring that amazing Christmas tree. It's was meant to be!
    ♥♥ Kay

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lea
    Love your cards - and great job on the JUGS challenge! I love your new tree, too. What a steal!
    thanks for coming by my blog and commenting, too!
    winter hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your cards! You do a great job with your cricut.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous cards, I love the paring of papers and accessories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both of your cards are gorgeous! I have and Expression...still in the box! So this is what it can do, huh? I better get moving on it! LOVE the tree, too! Thanks for playing our JUGs challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW!!!! These 2 cards are spectacular!
    KimCreate

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your cards!!!

    Just thought I'd let you know that you won my Skipping Stones Blog Hop - Blog Candy but I can't seem to find your email anywhere on your blog. Can you please email me with your address. My blog is sparkleandbling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful cards!! Thanks for joining us this week at TPE!!

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on making TESC Top Crops! I loved the figure skater card the second I saw it. So creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love how fun these cards are!!! You're so creative with all the colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's lovely I'm so jealous! I love white trees but my DH, well, doesn't lol. Good deal.

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥