Sweet As Can Be

February 13, 2013

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!  Yay for being the middle of the week!!  Are you ready for Valentine's day tomorrow?  I have everything purchased {I think}, and I just need to get some packages together.  We are having a split Valentine's day, because we have things going on tomorrow night that can't be skipped.  SO- we went to the movie "Warm Bodies" last night {which was SO cute}, and then are going to make a big breakfast together tomorrow & exchange gifts.  It's fun kind-of celebrating all week long, don't you think?

I have a sweetheart of a Valentine's day card to share with you today!  I am just LOVING how this car turned out....I think it is one of my latest faves!  It's a mix of Studio Calico & Crate Paper, with some older odds & ends thrown in here and there.  Can I tell you my fave part?  The fact that I left the stiching strings as is...no pulling through and making all perfect.  I love the little bit of eclectic that it adds to the card front.  Might seem silly...but I LOVE it! Tee hee!  Without further ado, here is the card-
Instructions:
1. Make A2 card from kraft cardstock.
2. Cut background paper slightly smaller, then adhere a banner cut paper strip to the middle.
3. Add the pink paper square to the middle, then layer a tag, and 2 hearts to it.
4. Zigzag stitch down the middle of the hearts, then adhere the entire paper block to the card front.
5. Tuck a tab sticker in the upper right corner of the pink block, then accent the tag with a fabric brad.
6. Layer the sentiment stickers & dies to the middle of the card, overlapping the hearts.
7. Add the wood veneer & arrow diecut below the tab sticker.
8. Embellish the front with sequins, gems & pearls to finish.

Challenges:
-Studio Calico Sunday Sketch - Sketch
-Runway Inspired #29 - DSquared2 Insp. Photo
-Divas By Design #81 - Love & Romance
-Penny's Paper Crafty #114 - Favorite Colors










There are a couple things I used on the card that are older and not available in the stores on my linking thing.  The gems & sequins are from Michael's, and the fabric brad is from K & Company a few years ago.  The diecut arrow & little circles are from Teresa Collins "Sweet Afternoon" collection, and the glitzer behind the map heart is from the "Happy Travels" collection by Glitz Design.  I think everything else is accounted for....ask questions if you have them!! ;)

Alright...so I introduced sharing my Bible Study notes last September, but have been so busy that something had to give a little.  Now- I have not given up doing my Bible study....I just haven't been posting my notes.  Well, we have started studying Paul's letter to Rome....and I figured it was time to bring the notes back.  Romans is one of my favorite books in the Bible, and I am excited to study it further, more in depth and share my findings and feelings with you!!  Just to serve as a reminder...this is a judgement free zone.  I will not ever cast my judgement upon anyone...I might even be annoyed with what I read or how I feel at times.  This is me, sharing about what was stirred in my heart as I read....which might not be what someone else would take from the same words.  So, without further introduction...

Romans 1:1-7
Belong.
1. to be the property or possession (of)
2. to be bound to by ties of affection, dependence, allegiance or membership
3. to be classified
4. to be a part or adjunct of
5. to have a proper or usual place
When I read Paul's introduction in his letter to Rome, the sense of "belonging" jumps out at me.  As humans, we all want to belong somewhere, with someone...to be important in some way.  And the thing is....we are.  "And you also are among those gentiles who are called to belong to Jesus Christ." (verse 6)  One of my latest fave songs is "Ho Hey" by The Lumineers.  There is a part in the song that says, "I belong with you, you belong with me. You're my sweetheart."  I read an interview with the band, & it was interesting to find out that the song was not written as a love song.  It was about a time when they were struggling as musicians, about lost love & lost dreams.  While the band didn't expound much further on that, I do wonder if the song was written as a reminder of how much they love music...no matter if they never made it big.  As I go back to the scriptures I studied for today, I think it is amazing how often we are reminded throughout the Bible of how much God loves us.  But, I think there is a purpose behind that....we NEED the reminder.  We have been freely given grace through Jesus.  I can belong to Him if I want to.  I just think we so easily forget that when we get caught up in our daily lives & relationships. Earthly relationships can be fleeting, but Jesus is with me forever.

So- today is Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent.  Are you giving up anything for lent in order to focus on God more?  I have one thing I am giving up, more for health reasons....but then it is also my intent to very specifically pray for someone very dear to me....every. single. day.  I am giving up Coke Zero (well, all soda in general).  It's not like I drink gallons of it per day or anything, but I have made it my treat for drinking water.  And I want to get past that....thus giving it up for Lent.  It might be the only way that I actually do it.  So- here's to trying! Ha!

That is all I have for you today!  I hope you have a great rest of your Wednesday!!

Until later,
~L. 

11 comments

  1. Great card, and I was wondering about your Bible study notes! Thanks so much for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed your bible notes...one of the reasons that I started reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is like a little masterpiece! Each elements is so lovingly and strategically placed!There are about 25-30 design elements to this gorgeous card!!! What A treat to see, Lea! Thank you so much for joining the fun with us at Runway Inspired Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the layers and the sequins make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty card, I love the gems! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love. The. Card. And I haven't done a lot of stitching lately, but I'm all for leaving it as it turns out too. Perfect is too CAS for me and bothers me. I like the wonky.

    I usually give up soda or chocolate for Lent. This year I decided to give up a time-waster....something I do every single day: go to People.com and TMZ.com. Such a waste of time to read about celebrities and their scandalicious lives. Fun. Guilty pleasure. But a waste of time. And with that time, maybe I'll check out Pinterest more and find things for my family - recipes, party ideas, etc. or spend less time on the computer period.

    Have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your layering and great quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely card!
    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "use your favourite colour combo" challenge & good luck in the draw…
    Hope to see you again in our new challenge on Wednesday.

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH so pretty! I just got some sequins last week and love all your inspiration! Great study notes too! I have to go back and read them again!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautifully put together card, everything is perfectly balanced
    Thanks for playing along with the Diva's this week and good luck
    Laurie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's possible that I say this every time I leave a comment here, but you are a master of layering! I would never be able to so artfully arrange different elements on a card. Thanks for joining us on the Runway!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥