Warm Autumn Wishes

October 17, 2014

Hey there, blog friends!!  So, I thought I was going to create & post a card each day this week...but I ended up practicing my watercolor skills instead.  Traditional art has never come easy for me.  I can push paper & layers of embellishments around a card base & stamp like a pro....but I've never been good at the things you would do in an art class.  I actually dreaded art class in school.  When I was little, a girl that my grandma used to watch some afternoons (along with me) would make fun of the fact that I couldn't draw a heart very well.  I was really good at pretty much all subjects in school, except for art.  I never felt confident that my projects were good enough, and I actually grew up thinking that I wasn't creative.  At all.  Friends, I am a professional photographer & I've been in the paper crafting industry for a really long time!!  It's crazy to me now that I didn't consider myself a creative person until I became an adult.

There are just so many amazing artistic things that can be added to paper crafting, and I decided that I really want to start learning them!!  So- I am going through some online classes that I should have done ages ago, and am having a wonderful time.  It still isn't easy for me...painting does not come natural to me.  But I am enjoying the process so far, and I did a watercolor background with a stencil that I am actually really proud of.  It took me A LOT of tries getting it to work....lol!  This card also has a preview of a couple things that will be releasing from Winnie & Walter at the end of the month...I'm keeping my lips sealed as to what they are, but you can take a guess if you'd like! :)
I created this card with quite a few challenges in mind.  I used the Cardabilities Sketch #109 as the start to my design.  I added a bit to the bottom & changed the sentiment location, but it still resembles the sketch pretty well!  The Tag You're It #8 inspiration challenge had a cute fall themed tag in the lower right corner, so I brought that same type of element into my card.  A Blog Named Hero #54 is challenging us to use something recycled on their project...and I actually reused the paper my watercolor background was done on....I had tried something else on the other side & didn't like it.  In order to not be wasteful, I let it dry & tried again on the other side.  That time it worked for me!  Plus, the button is from an old top that had been stained...so it couldn't go to the donation pile.  I liked the buttons, so I salvaged them before tossing it!!  Simon Says Stamp & Show Monday is all about using the letter O this week, and I chose to use October & a fall theme!  And last but definitely not least, Word Art Wednesday #154 is anything goes, and I really just like sharing my projects over there! :)



So, on Monday I talked about how I've been thinking about renewal a lot lately, & things that I want to renew in my own life.  I talked about health first...and I am happy to say that I've done really well this week.  I worked out every single day except for today (I'm not feeling very well today, and I have to shoot a wedding all day tomorrow...so I figured being low key today would be better.  I'm going to make up for missing today on Sunday!), drank a lot of water, & we mostly ate at home.  We went out to lunch a couple of times, but picked healthier options & no fast food.

Tonight I want to talk a little about what I'm doing in my crafty life.  I talked a lot about it at the beginning of the post....I'm learning new things & having a fun time doing it!!  I'm going to start taking more online classes in order to push myself & prompt myself to create more....plus I think it will just be fun to connect with other crafters while working on the same things.  I'm enjoying spending more time at my desk, and loving the new product that I've been getting from my creative teams.

I also made a really hard decision about 2 months ago.  I completely stepped down from Glitz Design.  I'm not longer the creative team coordinator/blogger/etc...and it feels like a weight has been lifted off of me.  Don't get me wrong...I LOVED the creative team.  They were a group of amazing women & crafters...& they created killer projects.  But, I didn't love the way the company started going after the change in ownership.  And because I felt like that, I knew it was time for me to bow out.  I look forward to the new adventures I have ahead of me in the paper crafting industry, and am feeling super inspired lately.

That is all I have for you tonight...I hope you enjoyed my card & my post!!  Let me know if you have any questions at all...I'm always more than willing to answer.

Until later,
~L.

18 comments

  1. AWESOME use of the sketch - love the layering and your photos -- awesome! Thanks for joining in at Cardabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just so pretty! Gorgeous colors, textures, dimension. One of my recent favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That background is wonderful. This project is truly beautiful. It breaks my heart to think that you grew up thinking that you weren't creative. So sad! Thank you for sharing your work with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. It's always a pleasure to see your work.
    ~Michelle
    http://www.michellezerull.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lea, wow.. this card is so gorgeous! Love the soft watercolor and cute embellishments. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lea this is stunning, I love the gold thread and the amazing colours on the word 'autumn' (plus coming from the uk I love that it says autumn instead of fall). Keep going with the painting, it's so therapeutic! I always thought of myself as creative but never as an 'artist' because I had teachers that told me off for not drawing an object to look exactly as it is. I just wanted to draw things the way they made me feel! Now I'm totally confident calling myself an artist as I spend all my time thinking about creating or actually doing it!

    I had an 'Oh, that's what happened' moment when I read what you said about Glitz. I have been totally put off by all the changes they've been making, with the website re-design and trying to make it like a club and all, I couldn't figure out what went wrong. I don't even read the blog any more. Now I know why. It makes me very sad that such a fabulous company just isn't doing it right now. But I'm glad you have other crafty things to keep you occupied, I love seeing your work! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. For someone who dreaded art class, I'd say you turned out to be a pretty remarkable artist! Isn't it funny how life flips things around and leads us to places we never thought we'd be? It was inspiring to both see your project and ready through your fabulous post. So inspiring! And this card itself is a stunner. I really like how you chose to go with a more subtle color palette, yet it still is unmistakably full of Fall! I adore how you stitched those leaves on and that woodgrain flag/banner is to die for! You did an amazing job here and this card alone gives you the full right to say a big fat HA! to anyone who ever made you feel like you weren't artistic. Good for you for following your heart because it's the rest of us who get to benefit, too! Thank you for your story and for sharing this with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is so awesome and it sure paid trying those new things as you did it excellently. We are blessed that you joined our Challenge last week at Word Art Wednesday. Please join us again as the new challenge starts today. Leaving you with God's Word in 1 John 4:9 which says, "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him." God bless always!

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This art is so pretty. Like you I want to do more than I have and like you was ridiculed when I attempted to draw. Anyway you won our challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Blessings Carole

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very beautiful card. Love the colours, love theme.... And you photos is perfect.... Thank you for joining us at the Cardabilities, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! AMAZING. Thanks for playing along with the TYI challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is gorgeous, Lea! I love it! Fabulous take on Lisa's card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lea, you are totally creative, and this might be my first time at your beautiful blog. Oh my gosh I love your card! Of course I love your photography as well. Thanks for joining us at Tag You’re It!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Beautiful! Thank you for joining us at the Cardabilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty, Lea! Never doubt your creativity. You have oodles of talent. :)

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your well deserved win at the TYI Challenge, Lea! Your card is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lea, saw your win at Tag, Your're It Challenge, (congrats!), and after a quick gasp, had to come by and say your card is gorgeous! Such beautiful details on a wonderful watercolor. Love every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous! Seriously amazing! I just love everything about it! ;-) Thanks for playing along with us at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete

Comments warm my heart. Thank you! ♥